Every week I choose 5 vegan things that I like. They can be food, cosmetics, books, DVD’s or it can be a service for vegan like a subscription box. This weeks likes include Fry’s vegan sausages and a recipe for granola
1- DVD – forks over knives
This is a great film to watch as it was one of the films that helped me make my decision t go vegan. In addition it is suitable for all ages to watch as it does not have anything gory in it.
To watch the trailer click here
2- Cook book – my cook book
I have created vegan versions of some of my favourite British and Jamaican recipes, so that they contain no meat, fish or dairy BUT still has fantastic taste”. Here are some of my most simple and delicious recipes that you can make at home using ingredients that are available in markets, local shops and supermarkets. You will find recipes for main courses, side dishes, deserts, drinks and ideas for your lunch box too. The 50 recipes in the book include: -Butter bean Falafel -Light and Fluffy Cornmeal Muffins -Apple, Mango and Pineapple Crumble -Pink Lemonade -Bunny Crunch Wrap “….have plenty of good fruit and vegetables, and then you will enjoy seeing the hearty appetites with which all ill partake of your preparations.” ~ Ellen G. White – Counsels on Diet & Food p.645 Kirly-Sue’s Kitchen is a delightful and simple-to-follow cook book, to get your copy click here and to get the Kindle version click here
3- Frys sausages
These are one of my go to items when I want to make a quick meal. They are great as hot dogs or in a stew. I have also cut them up finely and had them in pitta bread with sale and sweet chilli sauce, yumm and they cook in just 8 minutes
4- recipe video
Well how about having a go at making it yourself. Because that way yo will know exactly what is in it and you can save some money too.
To watch my recipe video click here
- 500 grams of rolled oats (old fashioned large grained type)
- 100 grams Brown sugar
- The juice of 2 large Oranges
- ½ teaspoon Nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon Almond essence
- ½ teaspoon Rose water
- 60 grams Crushed peanuts
- 60 grams Sunflower seeds
- 60 grams Sesame seeds
- 60 grams Flax seeds (linseed)
- 100 grams raisins
1. Preheat oven to 160 c
2. Mix together the oats, sugar
3. Add Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Pinch of salt, Almond essence& Rose water
to Orange juice
4. Add to oats mixture and stir with hands until all of mixture is moist.
5. Place on baking sheets in a hot oven and stir every 10 minutes.
6. During the final 10 minutes add the nuts and seeds
7. Allow to cool, then store in airtight containers.
5- news / events
VegfestUK London 2015, one of Europe’s keynote vegan lifestyle shows! Following 2 highly successful shows at Olympia West visited by a combined total of nearly 20,000 visitors, VegfestUK are moving this thriller of the year to Olympia Central Levels 1 and 3, on October 10th 11th 2015.
This show will be even better with an expected 12,000 audience who will be treated to:
- 200+ stalls full of top-notch food, bodycare, cosmetics, fashion etc
- Loads of special discounts and free samples
- 15 specialist caterers with exceptional global cuisines
- Many celebrities and special guests TBC
- A host of high-profile speakers from all over the world
- Health Summit on Saturday
- Activists Summit on Sunday
- Performance Area (with comedy and live music plus more TBA)
- Cookery Demos
- Living Raw Prep Zone
- 2 talks rooms covering topics on vegan Nutrition, Health, Campaigns and Lifestyle
- TeenVGN Zone
- Kids entertainment
- Kids cookery classes
The opening hours are: 11am-7pm on Saturday and 10am-5pm on Sunday. Admission is by both advance tickets and payment on the gate. Advance tickets are £10 (standard), £6 (concessions). Tickets on the gate are £12 (standard), £8 (concessions). Entry to the event is FREE for kids under 16’s. Advance tickets to the show will be available from June with many BOGOF offers for a limited period.