Spicy Apple Crisp
6 to 8 cooking apples
5 oz or 150 g flour
12 oz or 350 g brown sugar
6 oz or 175 g vegan butter
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Zest of one lemon
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Peel, quarter and core cooking apples.
- Cut apple quarters into thin slices and place it in a bowl.
- Blend nutmeg and cinnamon then sprinkle over apples.
- Sprinkle with lemon rind.
- Add lemon juice and toss to blend.
- Arrange slices in a large baking dish.
- Make a mixture of sugar, flour and vegan butter in a mixing bowl then put over apples, smoothing it over.
- Place the dish in the oven. If dish is very full, put a pan under the dish to catch spills.
- Bake at 370°F, 190°C or gas mark 5 for 60 minutes, until browned and apples are tender
2 oz or 50 g flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tp salt
2 tbsp vegan shortening
¼ pint or 125 ml unsweetened soya milk
4 or 5 apples
4 oz or 110 g sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add shortening and rub in very lightly.
- Add milk slowly to make soft dough and mix.
- Place on floured board and roll out ½ inch or 1 cm thick.
- Put into shallow greased pan.
- Wash, pare, core and cut apples into sections; press them into dough.
- Sprinkle with sugar and dust with cinnamon.
- Bake at 375°F, 190°C or gas mark 5 for 30 minutes or until apples are tender and brown.
- Serve with soya cream.