8 oz (225g) wholemeal flour
Good pinch of salt
4 oz (115g) very cold vegan margarine
Approx. 2 tablespoon cold water
1 lb (450g) fresh spinach, washed and shredded
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of All purpose seasoning
1 large onion, chopped
4 oz (115g) mushrooms, sliced
12 oz (340g) tofu, pressed to remove excess water
Seasoning to taste
2 tbsp sunflower seeds
1. Start with the pastry: sift together flour and salt. Use finger tips to rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add just enough cold water to bind it to a dough, then wrap in cling film and leave in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the spinach gently in a saucepan in a minimum of water, or preferably steam it, until just soft.
3. Heat the oil and fry the onion until it begins to soften, add the all purpose seasoning then add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes more.
4. Either mash the tofu, or blend it to make a thick puree. Add dill, plenty of finely chopped parsley and seasoning. Stir in the mushroom mixture and spinach.
5. On a floured board roll out the pastry, then use it to line a medium-sized flan dish (or ring standing on a baking sheet). Pour in the tofu, spinach and mushroom mixture, smooth the top and sprinkle with seeds.
6. Bake at 190C/375F/gas mark 5 for about half an hour, or until the pastry is crisp. Serve hot. Serves 4.